Seven kids. One hardworking daddy. One mother-in-law. One dog. One crazy mama.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Must Have New Books
Most of you will know that I can be a voracious reader. Reading is second only to breathing for me. I've been known to read cereal boxes, billboards, the classifieds, and my children's homework assignments (again and again), purely for the sake of getting my fix. I must always be reading. In fact, when I have no interest in reading, I know that I've got bigger problems than usual with my depression. I've just gotten off a little run where I didn't want to read anything, and I am now starving for new books to read. I don't really want to reread any of my faves right now. I read a little bit of everything: fantasy, sci fi, classics, bios, YA, self-help, history, science, thrillers, mysteries. I've collected a few suggestions, but I need some more. What have you got for me out there?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Celtic fairy tale
ReplyDeleteI'll ask Jennifer, she's my voracious reader and she just came off a read-a -thon in which she could not count any books that she had read before. Right off the top of my head I can tell you she liked the Leaventhumps series, All books Shannon Hale, "Ink" series... Inkspell, Inkdeath etc., Uglies series, Fablehaven series. If that's not enough let me know and I'll find some more.
ReplyDeleteI could write you a whole page of suggestions...since I'm the same way (don't tell anyone about the cereal boxes, please).
ReplyDeleteWhat I'm currently unable to put down is a fantasy series that starts with A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I warn you now, the books are long and there are a lot of them. Really well done though...intelligent writing and very complex plot. I have dreams about these books.
Otherwise...well, if you haven't read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon I'm telling you right now you are missing HALF YOUR LIFE. The first book is Outlander. Prepare to be addicted. Forever.
I could go on and on, so if you need more, just holler. =D
Emma recommends Is Your Mama a Llama. But you can only spend so much time reading that one...trust me.
Julie
Not sure if you read what your kids read, and if you do then you probably have allread read these, but Candy Shop Wars and Fablehaven are favs in our house right now...not that I have read them, but Jacob loves them and they were recomended by my sister who has read them. Wish I was more of a reader.
ReplyDeleteYou may have already read this, but I really enjoyed Team of Rivals.
ReplyDeleteDo you do any writing?
Have you read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series? I hesitated suggesting it because Robert Jordan died before he finished the series, but it is being finished by another author who worked some with Jordan before he died. The last book (of 12, plus a prequel) is being published as three books, the first being released in November.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I just compiled a list for you of some I love and One I haven't read yet:
ReplyDelete1) Mitford series by Jan Karon
2) Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters
3) Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman
4) Hollow Kingdom Trilogy by Clare Dunkle
5) Song of the Lioness series, The Immortals series, Trickster series, and Protector of the Small series by Tamora Pierce (I didn't enjoy her Circle of Magic series very much)
6) Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica by James A. Owen
7) anything by Sharon Kay Penman
8) Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (this is the one I haven't read yet).
Hope you haven't read at least a couple of these and can enjoy them.
I started a response to everyone, but it became so long that I'm just going to make it my post for today. Nothin' like books to make me run on at the mouth. Check it out: http://tracky75.blogspot.com/2009/04/must-have-new-books-sequel.html
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, and to my anonymous honey: I've got your book. It's right up my alley! XOXOX (Boy, I sure hope that's Bob!)
ReplyDelete