Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year



And it ain't December!

Christmas is all fine and good. Even when you're the mom and 250% frantic, crazy, and exhausted by December 20th.

But there's nothing like autumn, and it's definitely in the air around here. The temps dipped into the 40s last night. I was actually glad Caleb had crawled into bed with me, because then I had something to warm my feet up. Good thing he sleeps pretty hard (once he's in our bed, anyway).

The air at night is crisp and cool. Even during the day, you can run around with the car windows down. Guess that should make me more eager to drive the van.

Yeah, right.

The wind is back. I love the wind. I'm going to bookmark this post, and reread it in 4 weeks. By then, I'll be sick of the wind.

The late afternoons are perfect for children playing outside. And all the windows in the house are open, so you can hear an injury before it comes in and bleeds all over your living room floor. Oh dear! I meant, I can hear the joyous noises my children are making in all their glorious celebration of the fall.

I spent a delicious few hours at the consignment sale last night picking out little feeted jammies for Sariah to wear. Pink ones and purple ones and green ones and blue ones. It was the highlight of my day. And then Caleb called and told me he'd lost another tooth. The tooth fairy's gonna go broke.

But I am reminded of one of my favorite conversations with Elisabeth, the queen of all things explainable. When she was busy losing teeth ... well, ok, one tooth by one tooth stretched out endlessly ... I once asked her where she thought the tooth fairy got all of her money. She never paused for breath: during the day, the tooth fairy flies around picking up all the lost coins off the ground.

Man, I wish I was the tooth fairy.

But that's probably the reason I'm not -- she's way too generous with all that found money!

4 comments:

  1. The tooth fairy sells the teeth on the black market for a profit. No chump change for her, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm too lazy to go around and open all the windows. Because then I'd have to go around and close all the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the consignment sale! I used to love loading up there.

    I loved the fact that when Robby lost his first tooth, he told an slightly older friend about it sometime that same day. That friend informed him that the tooth fairy brought $1 for small teeth and $5 for molars! I wasn't too happy because I thought I had a deal with the tooth fairy that small teeth were worth $0.50 and maybe (if Robby was lucky) molars were $1. I guess inflation affects the tooth fairy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany--For whatever odd reason, I just found your comment today. It made me laugh out loud. Being too lazy to close the windows has never stopped me. That's what I had kids for, right? Yeah, Bob does a lot of window-closing when he's home. :)

    Sharon--Shoot, our tooth fairy's still dirt cheap. I've heard--no lie!--of kids getting tens and twenties from the tooth fairy. If that's what she handed out around here, I'd start pulling my own teeth and take myself out to eat on the profits (to Jamba Juice, obviously, because I wouldn't have any teeth). My poor deprived kids are lucky to make $20 in allowance money over 4 months, and that's if they do all their chores, and I get around to paying them.

    ReplyDelete