Tuesday, September 23, 2008

2-4-6-8, Who Do We Appreciate!

Not grammatically correct, but saying "Whom" would ruin the whole effect of this timeless cheer.

I'm feeling overworked and underpaid. No, that's not a request for flattering comments. I figure that it's probably selfish of me to want to be told that all of my offerings are acceptable, even when I feel like I've done the best that I can (or really feel like it, anyway, because let's face it, not all of our efforts are our absolute best).

President Hinckley said, "The antidote for selfishness is service, a reaching out to those about us--those in the home and those beyond the walls of the home" (quoted in Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, 1997, p 583).

And having heard frequently that an "Attitude of Gratitude" makes all the difference, I looked that subject up, too, in President Hinckley's Teachings book. I found at that at least I'm in good company, although I suspect that President Kimball probably wasn't feeling as selfish as I am today:

Although I should not have been, I was surprised at something President Kimball said on one occasion. I quote: "I find myself hungering and thirsting for just a word of appreciation or honest evaluation from my superiors and my peers. I want no praise; I want no flattery; I am seeking only to know if what I gave was acceptable."

If President Kimball needed a little of that, how much more do these [others]? (Teachings, p 247)

So, with that thought in mind, I am making a list of things for which I am grateful today.

  1. My mom, because (among other things) she helped me fix the holes in my fence and plant my pansies, and she came all the way from Texas to watch the baby so I could go to a doctor's appointment.
  2. Caleb, for doing his homework after school today right away.
  3. Sariah, for giving people hugs when they are sad, and for laughing when she's tickled, and for carrying around 3 pacis because they make her happy.
  4. Pansies, because they are cheerful and happy and make me smile, especially the yellow ones.
  5. My neighbors, for giving me a hand with the kids when I need it.
  6. I'm grateful that we didn't buy more house than we could afford, way back before the housing crisis.
  7. I'm thankful for $3.19 gas. In 1993, when I bought gas for $0.88/gal, I would have never guessed I would be grateful for that.
  8. And thanks to my hubby for not letting us move into a more expensive house or a great big gas guzzler. Now we're just getting by, instead of dead broke. ;)
  9. I'm thankful for naptime. Sometimes, it's the highlight of my whole day.
  10. I'm glad for the library. I love the library.

Ok, everybody, what are you grateful for?

4 comments:

  1. I'm thankful I didn't have to go anywhere tonight.

    I'm thankful for an awesome assistant.

    I'm thankful that my lessons went better today than yesterday.

    I'm thankful Nathan isn't too old to still snuggle with mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for bedtime after a day like this! You know, suggling down in the covers and relaxing especially after a hard day - it just feels so good!

    I'm thankful for a family that loves me even when I'm a crab.

    I'm grateful for the hope of a new day, a clean slate and the chance to do better than I did today.

    (Can you tell this was a rough day? Luckily, they aren't all like this.)

    Thanks Tracy, I need to think about my blessings more often. It probably would have helped me today.

    Oh and by the way, after living in two cities since being in OK and trying 7 different libraries in those two cities, I must say that I miss the Norman Library and especially the children's section! If any of the ladies at the children's desk are still there from four years ago tell them I miss them! None of the libraries that I have been to since have been as fun and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful every day for the woman who blessed me with the two brightest and most self sufficient kids in my world. I know God played a role in that one, too. Thank you Lord!

    Tracy and Bob and Chad and Tricia brought grandchildren into our world, to immortalize love and remind us to stay young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful for my good friends that make me laugh & lift me up.

    For my 15 year old when he hugs me and isn't embarrassed by it.

    For my 4 year old that says "jus hold me momma" or "I wanna hold you" ahhhh, so sweet.

    My 9 year old that still loves to snuggle with me, sleep with me, be with me.

    For my husband who works so hard away from home so that I can be a stay at home mom and take care of my boys.

    & last but not least-Sonic happy hour. :)
    **Oh, I can't forget--coming to your blog and really enjoying reading it. Love ya Tracy....

    ReplyDelete