The hymns we sang at church today were ... fun.
The first one was fun because nobody sings it very often, therefore nobody really knew it very well, therefore, it sounded ... fun.
Two of the other hymns were some of my all-time favorites, and were some of the first hymns I learned as a member of the church: I Know That My Redeemer Lives, and I Believe in Christ.
It took some time, but I Believe in Christ really hit me hard today. I got through the first few verses without really paying attention, but when we got to, "My feet He plants on gospel sod," I remembered how, well ... grounded that phrase always makes me feel. I guess it's because I grew up with a mom who was and is happy to garden, happy to nourish little or big things in the soil and watch them strengthen and grow. She's so good at it. And though it's not something I often make time for, I like to have my hands in soil and watch green things unfurl and blossom. But you have to take good care of their roots, make sure they have all the things they need. Plants and growing, blooming things and dark, rich soil seem so fertile and full of potential. I guess I like to think of my feet firmly planted in the sod of the gospel--me, full of potential and hope and strength with roots grasping mightily to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I am including the words of this hymn here. Some hymns you really have to sort through to figure out what is being said, but this one is a simple and straightforward testimony (the apostle Bruce R. McConkie's testimony, actually) that needs no interpretation.
31243, Hymns, I Believe in Christ, no. 134
1. I believe in Christ; he is my King!
With all my heart to him I’ll sing;
I’ll raise my voice in praise and joy,
In grand amens my tongue employ.
I believe in Christ; he is God’s Son.
On earth to dwell his soul did come.
He healed the sick; the dead he raised.
Good works were his; his name be praised.
2. I believe in Christ; oh blessed name!
As Mary’s Son he came to reign
’Mid mortal men, his earthly kin,
To save them from the woes of sin.
I believe in Christ, who marked the path,
Who did gain all his Father hath,
Who said to men: “Come, follow me,
That ye, my friends, with God may be.”
3. I believe in Christ—my Lord, my God!
My feet he plants on gospel sod.
I’ll worship him with all my might;
He is the source of truth and light.
I believe in Christ; he ransoms me.
From Satan’s grasp he sets me free,
And I shall live with joy and love
In his eternal courts above.
4. I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
From him I’ll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain,
His voice is heard: “Ye shall obtain.”
I believe in Christ; so come what may,
With him I’ll stand in that great day
When on this earth he comes again
To rule among the sons of men.
Text: Bruce R. McConkie, 1915–1985. © 1972 IRI
Music: John Longhurst, b. 1940. © 1985 IRI
No comments:
Post a Comment