Saturday, January 15, 2011

On Being a Primary Teacher

In December, I accepted a new calling at church: primary teacher to the CTR 4s.  I've missed being in primary.  I don't have the attention span for Sunday School and Relief Society for grown ups.  I like to be up and down, and to have singing time, and to make rapid transitions occasionally.  But teaching the 4-going-on-5s is going to give me a run for my money, I think.  I started the first Sunday of the year, so I've taught the class exactly 2 times.

On the first Sunday, one of the little girls threw up.  Yeah, I'm that great of a teacher, lol!  It was a great confidence booster.

I think I might have to pick a different off-day for my exercise schedule.  My class is rather ... active, so we sing "Do As I'm Doing" enough times that every child gets to be the leader once.  We jumped for 4 runs through the song.  That's longer than I jump rope on Cardio Workout.

4 is such a transitional age.  For our coloring activity, I had one child done coloring his picture in less than 30 seconds.  And another one who, at the end of 10 minutes, had colored precisely one line in his picture.  And he cried when it was time to put the colors away.

All this being said, I'm having a great time teaching this class.  Yes, it's tiring because they are so full of energy.  But because they are so full of energy and fun and life, there is never a dull moment, and everything is new and shiny.  I'm still super excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment