Friday, January 14, 2011

More on More Lately

The Keepers' Tattoo was okay.  I was interested in the story line, and I think the writing shows a lot of potential.  This fantasy world is both historical and futuristic, with an interesting blend of the realistic and the magical.  The book isn't just your typical romantic fantasy; it touched on societal, cultural, and political issues, with a strong message of belief in oneself.  However, it's not on my list of must-reads.





Happenstance Found is set in another fantasy world with its own real-world-grounded parallel, as well as more magic.  This book's strength is the characterization.  Each character is carefully crafted with his or her own resounding personality.  Ebullient Lord Umber is my favorite, especially as his character is developed towards the end of the story.  Though definitely not the same, this book reminded me some of James A. Owen's Imaginarium Geographica books.  I will probably eventually read the sequels.




A magical ancient world is the setting for Wolf Brother.  I felt like this was well written and captured the 12-year-old main character, Torak, and his wolf brother, Wolf, accurately, with age appropriate and species appropriate flaws.  I loved how the author stretches your brain by making you think about the wording of things.  The action moves along fairly quickly, and nothing is dragged out unnecessarily.  I already have the sequel on reserve at the library, though I am a little afraid that my favorite characters aren't going to be in it enough.




For the purposes of this blog, We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes wins my prize for most creative.  This is the tale of the capture of a snake by an obnoxious young boy, from the snake's point of view.  It's humorous to the last line, the ending was unexpectedly delicious, and I really loved how even the snake's perspective changed with time.  It's obviously not like a "serious" "classic," but it is entertaining and thought-provoking.





I've been intending to read The Memory Keeper's Daughter essentially since it came out.  It's the story of a doctor who delivers his own twins on a snowy night and the following choice he makes to send the second born, a daughter, away because she has Down's syndrome.  The story follows this family for the next quarter of a century and the consequences of the fateful decision.  Admittedly, it was a little slow for my tastes in some places, but the book description promised that it was ultimately a story of the redeeming power of love ... and it was, though it ended more realistically than I wanted it to.  The book was superbly readable and believable, the kind of book that makes you think about what you would do if it were you.  (And I stayed up late one night reading it, and only put it down when Sam decided he wanted to stay up and play with Mommy.)

Catching Fire and Mockingjay are both part of the Hunger Games trilogy.  In the past I've been leery of reading the current "It" books.  I guess I was being a snob.  But then Harry Potter came along, and friend finally convinced me to read those about halfway through the series, and I did.  Sometimes there is a reason the "It" books are the "It" books.  My 16-year-old cousin (a boy, incidentally, if you look for good books for boys) recommended I read these last summer, but I put it off--what was I thinking?!  Memory Keeper was almost addictive.  The Hunger Games books ARE positively addictive.  At the same time that they are full of suspense, they are thought-provoking about a somewhat futuristic society and civil unrest.  And yet it's still up close and personal, and you care deeply about the characters.  If you haven't read them yet, read them!

1 comment: