Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Blessings

I hope everyone knows that in my tie post, I was referring to the ties when I said they were alike, conservative, and boring. I would never apply any of these adjectives to either of my boys. Especially boring. Neither of my boys are ever boring!

And yes, my dear friend, I do love those little angels, and I know you meant no harm with your comment. It just happened to strike a chord with my feelings about some of my worst flaws. One of the things that I really struggle with is exasperation with my kids. Sometimes I think it's because of my good friend/enemy, Depression; sometimes I think it's just the normal side effect of being a parent; and sometimes I think it's one of my "poor parenting skills" (is that psycho-babble for saying, "I was wrong and have no excuse; I shouldn't do that"?).

So, in my little ones' defense ... there was a reason I didn't blog yesterday, and that would be because I was spending time with my kids, and I was enjoying it!!!

I took Hannah to the dentist, and she and I spent a great deal of the time laughing at Sariah's antics. She freaked out when they took Hannah back for her cleaning, so we had to follow her back there. Then Sariah amused herself by repeatedly sliding down the base of the exam chair and shrieking, "Wheeeeeeeeeee!" Fortunately, all of the other patrons and dental staff found this as amusing as we did.

After school, Rex and I worked on his Kindermusik homework. We missed a bunch while I was sick, so we've had a lot of catching up to do. He loves Kindermusik, so it wasn't a hassle. While he was at his class, I spent my time talking with another mom about their hopes to adopt after already having 2 biological children. I talked about how hard that was for us, but that the blessings have been many and great. I realized anew how much I really mean that.

The girls and I spent the evening on a hunt for the Missing Cell Phone. But we had a ball tossing their room and the cars. Usually, cleaning their room means a terrible ordeal. But first, one of my neighbors came over and supervised the cleaning of the room by my girls and their 2 friends this weekend (I love my neighbor!!!!!), so the room wasn't so awful to search. And second, what can be more fun than dumping out a bunch of stuff and throwing it all back in without sorting it? Still no cell phone. Bummer.

Meanwhile, Elisabeth and Caleb, bless their hearts, caught up all their late or missing school work without argument, complaint, or under-the-breath murmuring. I am so proud of them for buckling down and getting it done, and it sure made our morning run more smoothly today.

And the blessing of all blessings: when I went to bed last night, I was too exhausted to lay awake or toss and turn. A good night's sleep does wonders for all sorts of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment