Thursday, January 21, 2010

We Come from a Long Line of Love

...of reading.

We read around here.  We read a lot.  To be fair, I don't read nearly as much as I used to.  I think it has something to do with having innumerable children and an inability to say "no" to people.  But still, if I find me a good book, you're more likely than not to find me hiding out with my book so I can hurry up and get to the end of the story!

My girls read a lot.  They each have their own style and their own likes and dislikes, but they read all the time.  So much so, that this week we had to get all over one of them for reading before doing her homework.  I'm really struggling with the plan, which is to limit her time for reading until she is responsible enough to get her schoolwork done.  This is hard for me, given that this was my very same problem from elementary school through college (and beyond).  Still, getting your work done is important, especially if you are easily smart enough to make straight A's, but don't always because you're always turning in late work (again, where have I heard this before?).

My thrill for the week has been watching my Caleb-boy devour an entire chapter book in a matter of days.  Unusual around here?  No.  Unusual for Caleb, yes.  He's a boy, and he's lagged a little behind for getting on the reading train.  I had started to despair that he never would.  But lo and behold, you watch the girls suck him into the Warriors world (a series by Erin Hunter), and he completely takes you by surprise.

Of course, I'm just put out that he took the book with him to school.  Since he was my third child to read the books, I decided I needed to get in on the action, you know, to be a responsible and aware parent.  I started the book yesterday in the car while he was at piano, and I'm enough pages in that I'd really rather be reading that than doing my chores.  It's surprising really, because I'm not a fan of animal fiction, and especially cat fiction.  Ugh.

I'm sure it's a good thing that the book is living at school with Caleb today.  But he better get finished with those last 6 chapters.  And soon.

In the meantime, our other current reading passion are the Lightening Thief series by Rick Riordan.  And the third book in that series is waiting for me at the library.  Too bad I'll have to fight with Bob for that book.

I love my family!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like our family... Here is an idea that I use with JD. I set a timer for 20 minutes and he races the timer to do his homework. However minutes are left in that 20 minutes, he gets that many extra minutes to stay up late and read. But the catch is that I subtract minutes if his homework has the wrong answers or if his handwriting is sloppy due to him "beating the clock" It works for him... but then again, all kids are different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler loves the Percy Jackson series. The last book is almost done, and the kid never reads. We cant wait for the movie this month.

    ReplyDelete