Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Boo!

Well, I survived the pumpkin carving. I think I'll only need one dose of Benadryl to get me through. Pumpkin pie I can eat. Pumpkin seeds I can eat. Pumpkin scented candles I can burn. But pumpkin guts make my eyes itch, my nose run, and hives break out everywhere. It's totally nuts.

Tracy's guide to the picture:
  • The really ferocious pumpkin to the right is Hannah's. Maybe the bed-head incident was still on her mind when she planned her blueprints.
  • Cyclops Pumpkin up front is Elisabeth's, and yes, she knew who Cyclops was before she started carving.
  • Teeny Tiny Pumpkin on top is, of course, Sariah's. See, we gave it one tooth because it's still a baby. Sariah has an entire mouthful of quite useful teeth, but that's entirely beside the point. Art doesn't necessarily have to parallel life.
  • The happy-looking pumpkin with shark teeth to the left is Rex's design. He was very specific with me. And he only tried to carve his own pumpkin (without my permission) once.
  • Center-stage is Caleb's pumpkin. I have no idea what the whisker-type things represent. Neither does he. I asked.
  • And the deranged, completely frightened pumpkin is mine. It's how I felt by the time we were done. My mouth might have been open that big when I was ... er, requesting my children go to bed. Ok, ok, it really just signifies my big yawn. Honest.

2 comments:

  1. I got off so easy. Nathan was the only one interested, so we did ONE. Your pumpkins are so elaborate. How much of the cutting do the kids do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much. The girls did some of their own. They all do ALL of their own pumpkin-gut scraping. I didn't feel like fishing out my rubber gloves. Sometimes I wish we did only 1 or 2. But it's a tradition, and one that everyone looks forward to. And it doesn't involve eating, which is a bonus for me right now. :)

    ReplyDelete