I'm feeling a little judged this week. It's probably mostly paranoia, but there it is. I can't really change what people think, although I'm going to try, so mostly this post is about owning the decisions I've made.
If you haven't heard already, I'm pregnant.
Hence, the title. Obviously.
And worse than that, I'm happy to be pregnant. I can't keep it a secret. It's way too exciting to keep mum about it.
But the one thing that really throws a wrench in my joy is being asked a ton of nosy questions. I don't really think fast enough to hand out coherent answers or arguments. So first, I'm going to send you to this link. It's one of my favorite posts about large families. And second, I'm going to post the following "Q & A with Tracy." I'll start with the more polite questions.
Q: Why do you tell people so early? Aren't you afraid of miscarriage?
A: Yes, I'm deathly afraid of miscarriage. My body has proven repeatedly that it's entirely capable of ending pregnancy early, very early. But the fact is that I can't keep my own secrets. Other people's I'm better at keeping, but not my own. If I miscarry, then I miscarry, and there's probably a good reason for it (no matter how much I hate that it happens). I'm not going to wallow in the misery of my disappointment and heartache, but I'm not going to keep my sorrow a secret either. In our culture, it's apparently not okay to have bad things happen to you, and you have to keep them a secret. I happen to think some of humanity is about sharing emotions with each other; that's when we learn the most about each other, when we learn the most compassion, and when we learn that we are not alone.
Q: Don't you have enough kids?
A: When I was a little girl growing up, the only thing I consistently desired when I grew up was to be a mother. I went through phases when I wanted to be a vet, a teacher, a farmer's wife, a Tupperware lady. When I got older, I thought I would enjoy being a speech therapist, a social worker, and an elementary school teacher. Those things I probably would have loved and been good at (although the social worker thing probably would have killed me, which is why I changed my major). What never changed was that I wanted to be a mom. What's more, I wanted to have a lot of kids, like 12. I spent hours and hours naming them and renaming them. I was going to have triplets named Dallas, Austin, and Houston (that was before I moved to Texas and then decided that was stupid). I was absolutely convinced that my parents had deprived me by giving me only one sibling. I am fortunate enough now to be living my dream! I don't need 12 kids any more, but I still love children, and I still love being a mom, and I'm so grateful to have a husband who allows me the privilege of living my dream.
Q: Do you even use birth control?
A: Is this even your business? I will, however, point out that there was a 6-year gap between the birth of my 3rd child and the birth of my 5th child (the 4th is adopted).
Q: Can you even afford the kids you have?
A: Yes, for the time being. Obviously, in this kind of economy, there are no guarantees. Is there ever really a guarantee? But both Bob and I are willing to do what it takes to provide the necessities of life for the children we have brought into the world. I think that this applies to Bob especially. We live on one income because Bob works hard and makes many sacrifices for us. We all make sacrifices. Sacrifices aren't the worst thing in the world.
Q: Don't you worry that your kids will be deprived of time, attention, money, etc.? Don't you worry that your kids will be permanently warped?
A: I worry about these things all the time, but I don't believe they happen intrinsically because a family is large. I, as a parent, have a responsibility to provide for these things. I know plenty of large families, and I often (not always) find that the children are polite, well-behaved, cooperative, willing to work, good citizens, and exceptionally kind. It doesn't warp a child to have to share a bedroom (we could be living in a one-room cabin, right?). It doesn't warp a child to not always have ice cream in the freezer (hello obese America!). It doesn't warp a child to not get to participate in every single thing s/he thinks necessary (as an adult, I can't possibly do everything I want to do). And there are pros, as well as cons, to having multiple siblings--after all, in 50 years, who is going to be there for my children? Me? Please, I hope I'm dead by then. Or will they have each other, their lifelong friends and companions? (Just so long as they don't start a family feud. LOL!) The bottom line is: I'm NOT raising Generation Me here, and I'm so glad for that.
Q: You just got a bigger house. What are you doing?!
A: Consider that we were planning for our future. 4000 sq ft with 2 occupants does not a happy home make. Although, I do have to say we were really squished in our old house. I think as long as Bob and I stay committed to first the Lord, and second each other, and third our family, 2300 sq ft is plenty of room for a happy family and a successful life together. (Please note that I did not say this would be easy....)
Q: When are you going to stop already?
A: Quite frankly, that's nobody's business but ours. And shame on you for asking!
Q: Have any of your children actually been planned?
A: This really isn't your business either, but YES, all of them have been planned for, longed for, and greatly desired. The one exception is Rex, who arrived at our home on one day's notice for a temporary stay when he was 7 months old. He never left, and we've long since adopted him. I think that was an acceptable surprise as he's such a vital part of our family now.
Q: Isn't it irresponsible of you to bring little people into this world when you have a mental illness?
A: I suffer from depression. That sounds so ... depressing. But really, and I've posted about this before, I'm very, very grateful for my mental illness. It is currently under control with medication, exercise, and the avoidance of large amounts of chocolate (I know--that's inhumane). I will not come off of my meds while I am pregnant--a happy, consistent, and loving mommy, one with not so much cortisol running around her bloodstream, is the best gift you can give a child. I have parented with undiagnosed depression and with uncontrolled depression, as well as with diagnosed & controlled depression. It wasn't fun or pleasant for anyone when I was a mess. I'm not a mess now (or any more of a mess than anyone else or pregnant moms, anyway). It was my experiences as a mother that helped me to understand that there was something wrong with my head--I guess parenting in general leads us to that conclusion anyway, but I'm obviously referring to more here, people. It's my experiences as a mother that bring me some of the greatest joys and the most laughter and the brightest smiles. This isn't really a coherent answer to this question, but it's the way I feel.
Q: Aren't you exhausted all of the time?
A: Well, duh. But it's absolutely worth it.
Q: Do you ever get peace and quiet?
A: Only if my parents or my husband provide for it, bless their hearts. And when I do get it, it's kind of creepy weird.
Q: Don't you think you should make your husband stop traveling on a weekly basis, come home, and help you raise all those kids?
A: I'm living my dream, my husband should get to live his. I think he's been happy with this job, he's learned a lot, and he's built his resume. When he's ready for the 9-5 grind again, he'll get a "regular" job. In the mean time, Bob is an active and integral component of our family. I certainly couldn't do any of this without him.
Q: What does your husband think about another baby?
A: He's super excited, and smiled hugely when I gave him the news.
Q: What do your kids think about another baby?
A: I think there are mixed feelings, but over all, the feeling is excitement and anticipation. Believe me when I say I'll have to fight to spend time with my newborn.
Q: When's the baby due?
A: Assuming all goes well, April 12th.
And now I'll sign off to make sure I'm still pregnant. :D
Holy crap. Congratulations!!! How exciting!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOkay - I posted that comment before I read through the whole thing because I couldn't contain myself and HAD to congratulate you.
ReplyDeleteI found myself shaking my head in agreement with everything you said - especially all of the comments about large families. I just got back from our Michaelsen fmaily reunion. There is NO WAY my parents could have envisioned the joy their posterity would bring them when my dad was bishop, traveling quite a bit and my mom was at home with 9 kids (the oldest, barely sixteen). Yeah, raising kids is not easy, but my siblings are my closest friends. I love them dearly. It's hard to have family reunions because there are so many of us and we are so spread out all over the country, but thankfully, with cell phones, email,blogs, FACEBOOK!!, and other modern day technologies, we can stay in touch and know what is going on in each others' lives. When we finally are physically together, it doesn't seem like it's been that long. I guess my point is - big families are awesome!! The more, the merrier!! Keep having babies, Tracy!! I will not condemn you!! Wow! I am so excited! Can you tell?!!?!
Good for you, Tracy. I didn't know most of that history, so thanks for sharing. I don't care if you have one child or ten - what matters is that you're a good mom, you know your limits, you have a supportive husband (go, Bobby!), and you're planning ahead. I'm so happy for you, and I hope you don't run into too much opposition. You'll not get that from me - truth be told, I'm more than a little jealous. :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats!
Congratulations!!! I LOVE this post. I happy for you! Thank you for the Q & A, even though most, okay probably ALL of those Q's are NOBOBIES bussiness.
ReplyDeleteWe will love this one just as much as we love the other 8!! and by the way...we STILL love you and Bob, too!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Large families are so much better for the kids than most people will ever understand. Hope you're feeling good.
ReplyDeleteYou go girl!!! It is a decision for you and Bob to make, and no one else.
ReplyDeleteI will get a little more gas for the tractor rides.
Yaaayy y'all! Can wait to meet him or her! I bet it will be a boy to even out the score, lol. Happy early birthday too big sis! Love ya.
ReplyDeletewell congratulations! that is WONDERFUL news! How exciting. I LOVE and agree with all your answers. You two are smart people and have wonderful children, why not go on?!:o)
ReplyDeletecongratulations! Amen amen and amen. My sister is one of the best moms I know. she has nine kids in less than 2000 square feet. It's a little crazy but she and her kids are awesome. Again, Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteTracy--I am soooo super excited for you and your family! What wonderful news.
ReplyDeleteI would have NEVER asked any of the questions you posted. Never. People that do are....well...tacky & stupid.
PS. The baby is due on my birthday! YES!!!!
Congratulations! And would you be surprised that I'm a little jealous? We need to get together and talk cytotec and how much I prefer it to pitocin. (Though I think my birth story probably explained it pretty well.)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! I add my happy comments to all the rest. I think you are wonderful and kind hearted. And amen about people who would ask those questions. I love your bluntness. ;) PLEASE let me know what i can do for you!!
ReplyDeletePS your baby is due about the time my missionary is due home.
ReplyDeleteyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeess i'm so excited! i'm going to have a baby bro or sis yes!
ReplyDeleteoh yeah!!!
ReplyDeleteI think it's crazy what people will ask you when you are pregnant. They ask some of those questions even if you don't have a "big" family...two feels big to me right now! I read somewhere that when someone asks you questions like that, or any others that you don't want to answer, you should smile and say "why do you want to know?". Seems like that would shut people up quick.
ReplyDeleteANYWAY...as an only child I will speak up and say that I'm not warped from being an only any more than your kids are going to be warped from having siblings. Any warpage that I have (and I'm sure there is plenty) is all my own and would probably be there no matter what. AND I will also say that as an only child, I WISH that I had those lifelong connections that come with siblings for the very reasons you mentioned. Once my parents are gone, that's it. There is only me left of my family as I knew it growing up, and I think that's sad.
SO...Congratulations. Have ten more if you want to. I think you are brilliant. ALL of you.
JN
Read this post the other day and loved it because it was so honest. My brother and his wife get the same questions all the time about their own family but never say anything to anyone. They are raising very well behaved children who know a lot about the gospel. I think it is no one's business to question you and Bob's desires for family. I would love to be in the same boat you are in. I am happy for you and I know your children love all you do for them as well. Heavenly Father really does bless those who stand up for Him and themselves. So tell everyone to just stick it. J/K!
ReplyDeleteCamey Tucker
Good stuff!! Thanks for sharing your candid and honest feelings...I especially appreciated the Q&A. CONGRATS!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCan you tell I'm out of the blogging loop since it's taken me this long to get back to even reading anyone else's blog?! Congrats Tracy! Someday we hope to be right there with you and have our own large family. Tell your kids to pamper you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! I love everything you said, but, you know, I think some people will stay stupid, insensitive things no matter what. I sometimes feel judged for only having 3 kids right now and for waiting 4 years in between our 2nd and 3rd. Whatever, make your own decisions. I'm super excited for you!!
ReplyDeleteHey. I finally got the internet!!!! I will be updating my blog soon. So check mine!
ReplyDeleteI am so very happy for you, I know you wanted to have another baby. Your Q&A made me cry. But what doesnt these days. I sooo wish my life could have been different and I could have been able to have more children. I grew up number two of six and, WOW, I loved every minute of it. I soo wanted that for my kids. Unfortunately God has a different plan and although I dont like it or know what the heck it is......... Im waiting to see how it all will unfold. It sure hasnt been easy seeing everyone around me realize their dreams, now that mine are unnattainable. But some people getting pregnant do bring happiness to me instead of anger and jealousy........ and you my friend are one of them! Congrats to you and all your beautiful children. Enjoy that new baby and kiss them and squeeze them and cherish them always! Even when they break a jar, talk back, ride the scooter through the house and nag you to death! Love ya. Taryn