Monday, August 31, 2009

Heartbeat

I had my first ultrasound this morning.

The tech asked me, "And why are we doing this ultrasound today?"

And I promptly replied, "Because I'm a great big wuss."

"So, for reassurance then?"

Well, yes. I have enough anxieties (yes, I'm still worrying about swim team and my husband flying) without worrying about having a miscarriage since I've told all sorts of people via my blog, my big mouth, and my kids. And to top that off, I haven't been terribly sick. Now, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth here, but it is really unusual for me to be this unsick. And in the past when I haven't been sick and had a positive pregnancy test, the pregnancy turned out to be not actually viable. Now that I've said all this, I'll be deathly ill with morning sickness for the next 32 weeks.

The verdict is: a so far healthy looking baby, with a great heartbeat. I would post the picture here, but really it just looks like a jelly bean. It doesn't look so vague when you're actually looking at the machine, but the printed picture is really fuzzy.

In any case, once a heartbeat can be detected, your chances of miscarriage go from 1 in 6, to 2 in a 100 (why don't they just say 1 in 50? it still sounds so much better).

So, now my husband can quit worrying about me worrying. He wasn't worried about the baby at all. But my ridiculous (my word, not his) anxieties were getting a little old.

I think I'll go celebrate with a little Ted's. :)

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I am EXACTLY the same way. It drives poor Dave crazy. But I am always slightly more relaxed once I've seen/heard the heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy. Woo-Hoo! Stop worrying..you wart.
    Mmmmm Ted's...I know now why my sweet Sariah loves Ted's too. :) Momma loves Ted's. Hang in there, you are gonna be just fine.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so wonderful!! It's always such a relief to hear the heartbeat, isn't it? At least you get to worry about not being sick... my only miscarriage was with a molar pregnancy and, while I was getting my first IV with the last pregnancy (each one has gotten worse) the nurse oh-so-kindly reminded me that, "extreme sickness is a symptom of a molar pregnancy." Thanks ever so much.

    Sorry, this isn't about me. But I'm so happy and relieved for you.

    ReplyDelete