Well, there was the grass fire in the field across the street. That's enough to make you assess your emergency preparedness and count your many blessings. No damage to our property. And I'm so grateful for the fire department who kept the fire at bay, stayed overnight SEVERAL nights to make sure everything burned out, and kept all the cars out of our neighborhood during the worst of it.
The remaining stench was especially disappointing in light of the fact that the grass fire was followed by 3 days of FABULOUS weather. It was WARM, and it was the kind of weather that makes you throw your windows open and anticipate the deliciousness of spring. Except that we couldn't throw our windows open because of the all-permeating (over)burnt cedar smell of fall. Bummer.
And now: Snowmageddon. Except that, IMHO (in my humble opinion, for the technologically illiterate), the blizzard in 2009 was much worthier of the title. Of course, I was sound and snugly asleep last night when the worst of it blew in. But still. It's snow. And it's freakin' cold. But we've done that before. And probably will again.
Meanwhile, my neighbor's daughter pointed out that our little corner of the world has recently been a real magnet for weather/earth related disasters. Since we moved into this house, we've experienced blizzards, a tornado, an earthquake, fire (not to mention the ice storm right before we moved).... She started wondering what's next and even made a suggestion, but really, I must say I decline to participate in that sort of self-punishing, self-fulfilling prophecy, jinxing type behavior. I can't think about it. My mental health might be at stake.
BUT HERE'S THE BEST PART OF THE WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO LATELY: Sariah's pretty purple glasses have been located. In Caleb's backpack. Why didn't I think to look there?! Still, even this morning I find myself continuing to look around my house imagining all the little hidey-holes a pair of glasses could be hunkered down in (inside the piano? but alas I've already looked there ... oh wait! under the china hutch? but alas I looked there, too ... noooooo, I'm not really going to consider going through the hideously messy craft drawers in the closet!). You get the picture. So, I'm ready to dance a jig over finding the long-lost, much missed specs. Woohoo!

No comments:
Post a Comment